To receive a patent grant, your invention must qualify for the same. While filing the patent application might seem like the straightforward approach, one thing you must not forget is to conduct a prior-art search. For keeping the novelty of the invention, it is important to conduct a prior-art search. A prior-art search reveals information whether your invention is novel or not. Your invention should be novel in order to receive a patent grant.
What is a Prior-Art?
Prior-Art can be anything which is already existing. It includes methods, procedures, similar technology. Thus, prior-art shows evidence that the technology or the invention is not new but already existing.
Related Article – What is Patent Translation? Why it is necessary?
What is Prior-Art Search?
Prior-Art search refers to searching for the available prior-art that can impact the patentability of the invention. Before filing the patent application, an applicant or the inventor must conduct a prior-art search. There are different forms of it. Conducting a prior-art search before filing patent application can save time and money. There are plenty of other reasons that conducting a prior-art search can benefit you.
Why you should perform a Prior-Art Analysis?
Obtaining a patent is a lengthy and time consuming process. Thus, to ensure that you are not wasting your time and money, you should always rely upon conducting a prior-art search.
A Prior-art search helps inventor in knowing how his/her invention features novel aspect when compared to the existing prior-arts. With the insights revealed by Prior-art Analysis, the applicant can explain how his/her invention differs from the prior-art. Other than that, an applicant can make an informed decision whether he should proceed to file a patent application or not.
Take a look at the benefits of conducting a prior-art search:
- It helps in identifying the novel elements in the invention.
- Provides useful insight into the technology and similar inventions.
- Protection helps in patent infringement in the future.
What are the Types of Prior-Art Search?
Prior- Art takes different forms which includes novelty search, validity search, clearance search. The applicant can perform such searches depending upon the purpose. Let’s take a look at different types of prior-art searches:
- Novelty Search – An applicant can conduct a novelty search to check if his/her invention is novel or not. A novelty search becomes crucial since patent grant depends upon it. A novelty search is conducted prior to filing patent application.
- Validity Search – This type of patent search is beneficial for competitors who are looking forward to challenging the validity of the patent. The validity search is performed post patent grant.
- Clearance Search – The applicant can perform a clearance search to see that if the given product is infringing upon the patent ones. This type of search is known as freedom to operate search.
Wrapping up our blog, we can conclude that this search may be beneficial for the investors. It can save time, money and future litigations. While filing the patent application, it is important to have the technical understanding and legal knowledge. Other than being a technical paper, patent filing relates to law. A prior-art search will bring most value to if the applicant has an understanding of the IP law.
PDC can help you with this. We have a dedicated team of experts who help clients in every matter related to the IP lifecycle. We ensure high-quality patent services across the globe. So, if you are lacking the resources to conduct a prior-art search, Patent Drafting Catalyst can help you with that.
Our team of experts have a deep understanding of the legal aspects and the technical aspects which are crucial in conducting patent search. This allows us to work in a smooth pace to help clients in getting patent grants on time.
To know more about our services, you can get in touch with us or click here.