To protect a Business Intellectual property, the applicant needs to fill patent application form. In short, it is a series of documents that are essential to secure your invention and get patent grants. The applicant who needs to safeguard his/her invention has to present a few details related to invention in the patent application form.
Related Articles – How To Choose The Best Patent Illustrator?
Why Patent Applications are important?
Patent application is crucial for the smooth patent prosecution cycle. It acts the basis for beginning of the IP lifecycle. Thus, it is important to file the applications accurately. If the patent application is not filled accurately or there are errors present in the application, the PTO will reject your patent application. You will not have a basis for securing your invention.
On the other hand, if you file patent application accurately, it will speed up the patent prosecution cycle. Along with that, it will reduce the chances of rejection of your patent application.
So, if you are looking forward to filing application to secure your invention, it is recommended to take help of experienced lawyers if you have never filled earlier. You can not undermine the significance of filing correct application form to secure your invention.
What are the Different types of Patent Application?
There are different types of patent available. The applicant has to file different patent application depending upon the type of patent he/she is willing to secure. Let’s take a look at different types of patent application form:
- Utility Patent application – The applicant can file utility application if he/she is willing to secure a utility patent. You can apply for utility patent when the invention is novel and has the industrial purpose. The kind of patent provides protection to the usability of the invention. So, if your invention has the new process/ functioning, you can secure the utility patent.
- Design Patent application – Design application is filed when the applicant wants to secure the design of the invention. Such kind of patent is granted when the structure or the ornamentation of the invention is unique,
- Plant Patent application – If you have created a new plant, you can refrain others from claiming that they made it. You will have to file plant application form to patent the plant.
Things You Should Do While Filing Patent application
While filing an application form to secure your invention, you must make sure to avoid these mistakes. All this is going to delay the patent prosecution cycle.
- Ensure that you are aware of what kind of patent you want to secure. There is a difference between utility patent and design patent.
- While filing an application, make sure you are aware of the patent drawing rules. The mom-adherence to these rules will lead to rejection of your application.
- Do not wait too long to file the patent application. If you wait for the opportunity to file an application while someone else files the application earlier than you, you will not be able to secure your invention.
- Conduct a patentability search to check the presence of prior-arts. This is one of the important steps that can save you time and money.
Hire PDC for Patent Application Filing
If you are looking to filing application, Patent Drafting Catalyst can help you with that. We are a team of experts who have experience in filing application across multiple jurisdiction with absolute accuracy. At PDC, we know how important it is to file accurate patent application to secure the invention. Thus, we strive to deliver an unprecedented experience to our clients.
To know more about us, get in touch with us.