Patent filing is a key step that an inventor has to undertake to protect his/her invention from infringement. Filing a patent application might seem easy but is a complicated task. The assistance and guidance from experts can go a long way in getting patent grant. For that reason, PDC (Patent Drafting Company) has stepped ahead to help inventors in achieving the patent grants. Our team of experts have experience in drafting meticulous patent applications across multiple jurisdictions.
Related Article – IDS: Why & When You Should File it?
What Are The Types of Patent?
There are broadly three types of patent:
- Utility Patent –USPTO defines utility patent as “anything new and useful in terms of process or machine or composition of matter. Utility patent applications protect the functional aspect of an invention.
- Design Patent – The protection of the visual and aesthetic element of a product comes under design patent. An applicant can apply for design patent if he/she thinks that the design of the invention is unique.
- Plant patent – A plant patent may be granted to an inventor for discovering the new plant species. A plant patent gives the inventor right to prohibit any seller to sell the same plant.
How To File A Patent Application – Patent Filing Process
Patent filing can help inventors in securing their inventions and generate revenue from these inventions. Here’s how you can file patent application:
Patent Filing Process
- Invention disclosure – To begin with, the applicant will have to disclose the invention. The Information disclosure statement reveals all the information about the invention. An applicant needs to follow a proper format while preparing IDS.
- Conducting a patentability search – Once you have filled the IDS or Information Disclosure statement, you will need to conduct a patentability search. The patentability search gives you an insight into the existing prior-arts. With this, you will get to know whether your invention is patentable or not. Conducting a patentability search is optional however it could determine if you stand a chance to get patent. Your invention should contain an element of “novelty”.
- Drafting patent application –While drafting patent application, you should give attention to detail or hire some expert who can draft your patent application on your behalf. You can choose to file a provisional application or complete patent application considering the stage of development of your invention. For instance, if your invention is still in initial phases, it is a good idea to file for a provisional patent application. While drafting patent application, ensure to mention the usability and the outcome of the invention. Drafting patent application means you need to have understanding of the legal and non-legal aspects.
- Publication of Patent Application – After the submission of patent applications and various other documents supporting your patent application, the patent journal will feature your patent application. However, the applications can request the early publication of patent application by filing a separate form. The PTO will publish the patent application within 1 month of submission of request. Usually, the patent application gets published however there are certain times when you patent application may not be published. This may be because of incomplete application or withdrawal of patent application.
- Examination of Patent application – Post publication of the patent application, the examiner conducts the examination of application. For this, the applicant has to make a formal request for the patent examination. As a part of the examination of patent application, the examiner will check for the existence of similar technology and ensures if the invention meets the patentability criteria. On the other hand, if the examiner raises any objection, he will issue FER (First examination Report) that will bear the objections in detail. The inventor will need to make changes to his/her invention to overcome the issues.
- Issuance of Patent Grant-
The applicant needs to overcome the objections. If the applicant manages to overcome these objections, the examiner will issue patent grant.
Why You Should Choose Patent Drafting Catalyst?
At PDC, the professional experts have a deep understanding of the patent process and technological expertise to draft applications that are enforceable. The professional experts hold of years of experience in drafting patent applications which have helped businesses in saving time, money and efforts. Our team has expertise in drafting provisional patent application and non-provisional patent application.
Patent Drafting Company, as its name indicates, is committed to drafting high-quality and enforceable patent applications that promises results. PDC has carved out a niche for itself.
- Quick turn-around time while giving attention to the details.
- 10 plus years of experience and expertise in more than 30 plus technological areas.
- Deep understanding of the patent process across multiple jurisdictions.
- Experience in drafting future-oriented patent applications.
What does PDC (Patent Drafting Company) cater to?
Other than helping investors in drafting patent applications, PDC undertakes a lot of activities. As a part of its services, PDC offers patent drafting services which include drafting provisional and non-provisional patent application. In addition to that, PDC offers patent drawing services that help clients to explain every feature of their invention in great detail through the visual representation. This increases the chance of getting your invention patented and you can easily showcase the novelty aspect present in your invention.
In terms of support, Patent Drafting service offers paralegal support that helps in IDS preparation, offers proofreading service, and patent docketing service to keep and manage all the essential documents during the entire prosecution cycle. Additionally, PDC also conducts prior-art searches to figure out the presence of same or close invention in comparison to your invention.