Patent proofreading is a term that points out the final step while acquiring a patent. It means that once the drafting is done, the contents of the application must be carefully read and analyzed, to find out the errors which might be left during the creation of an application, and then making possible corrections. The potential errors must be removed that might cause a change in the meaning of the claims or description of the invented product. It always helps in removing any possible harm that could generate infringement risks or any technical risks associated with the functionality of the product. Let us find out the important elements of patent proofreading.
Elements of patent proofreading
Proofreading not only focusses on checking for the errors which are related to the legal claims or the technical section, it actually means to review the application from every possible angle, such as technical, legal, grammar related, etc. All the elements which are reviewed as part of proofreading are discussed below in detail.
- Claims: Claims defines the boundaries of scope for what and for what not, the protection is being provided by the government to the inventor. Proofreading helps in analyzing the claims on the basis of the meaning they convey, use of proper words for description, data ambiguity, and if something is missing from the claims or not. It not only helps in finding misspelled words or ambiguous sentences but at the same time the user becomes much more aware of the aspects of the invention.
Proofreading is required to ensure better data consistency, definite structure, and to bring proper meaning between what is intended to claim and what is actually claimed. Since claims defines what is getting legally protected and what is left for still to research upon, it is must that proofreading should be done well for the claims part.
- Invention statement: The invention statement must be written in a proper, precise, and descriptive manner so that it can easily be understood by two types of audiences, namely the aware ones and the out-of-subject ones. The aware audience is the one sort of target people who are familiar enough with the background subject knowledge or who hold a keen interest in that particular field. It is easier to present description in front of such type of audience since they are already familiar with the terminologies and technical criteria, which are related to the invention. It is important for the inventor to make the explanation in such a way that even a person who does not hold any previous knowledge related to the subject, can also think of studying and analyzing it, to invent or learn something new.
In proofreading, all the statements are checked and read once again, so that description can be depicted in much easier terms (but not specifying out of focus subject), to target wide-ranging audience.
- Grammar: Using grammar in a number of ways can make a huge difference in sentence formation. The use of grammar laws must be done in such a way that the sentences depict precise and unambiguous data.
Proofreading helps in reviewing grammatical errors and removing them, to make sentences and their meaning, more clear and convenient for the audience to understand.
- Terminology: It is important to be elaborate and at the same time, not getting away from the technical aspects of the invention. Technical specifications and language jargons must not be excluded from the writing. Since specifications must not be altered, otherwise literal meaning of the invention can change; it is must to be careful while writing them.
Proofreading helps in checking proper terminology and technical terms when the whole invention is described in one compiled document.
- Drawing: Technical drawings are the core element while filing a patent application since it is a shortcut to learn about the specifications and understand the functionalities. Sometimes, drawings become too complex while making up, which makes it difficult to understand, increasing its chances for rejection.
Proofreading allows in reviewing the specifications, technical details, clarity in drawings, and use of good quality ink and sheets on which drawings are made.
- References: It is important to cross verify the stated references and to check for the ‘already defined’ patent content, at the end of drafting, since it will help in identifying the missing references and references which are no longer required.
- Standards: Proofreading is important to check whether the application follows patent standards according to the territorial area, in which the patent is going to get filed. It helps in checking whether all the standards according to legal laws, language grammar, use of certain quality of page and standards related to page margin and writing, are constantly followed across the whole application or not.
- Reliability verification: It is important to understand that whether the way or the criteria in which application is stated, is reliable or not. Proofreading helps in determining the same, by checking for its industrial applicability, one more time, so that any changes which are required can be easily made after drafting.
Apart from knowing the elements of patent proofreading, it is equally necessary to know the importance of patent proofreading.
Our team, at Patent Drafting Catalyst (PDC), focuses on providing the best patent proofreading services to our esteemed clients according to their requirements. We try to mitigate risk, manage consistency, removing delicacy, and errors from claims and specifications, with the help of latest technology to provide them with the industry’s most wide-ranging proofreading services. We include all the office actions and all the changes required even after post filing of the application, through our manual as well as automated checks. All the applications have through three stages of quality check to assure that the patent is free from all the possible errors.
Here’s a small glimpse of our action plan for proofreading services:
- We analyze the bibliographic information of the issued patent and compare it with its prosecution history, to assure that the information inside the issued patent is appropriate and unique.
- We analyze and check all the drawings inside the issued patent after considering all the replacement sheets as the final submitted sheets, to assure that no glitches are left behind even in drawings.
- We analyze and compare every‘Specification as issued’ with every ‘Specification as filed’information to be sure that all the amendments for specification are included in the issued patent.
- We also analyze and compare the claims of the issued patents according to the examiner amendments, etc.
To know more about our services, please visit our service page. Alternatively, you can drop a mail at email@example.com.